1. The next Telepresence General Meeting will be held Friday, Feb. 26 at noon. Toronto people can attend in person at the UofT's Sandford Fleming building rm. 2103. Ottawa people are welcome to go to the Ottawa Engineering Group on Queensview Ave. Those who wish to attend via video-link, or by audio-link, please contact Barbara (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Feb. 19th.
2. A recent survey of distributed multimedia research, standards and products done by Chris Adie at Edinburgh University is availible in /telepresence/docs. It is in Microsoft WORD format and is called "MultiMedia Survey - U.K.". It is about 60 pages long....
3. About 10 researchers from the EC "DELTA" project will visit the UofT site of the Telepresence project on April 15th in the afternoon. They are in Canada to attend the MultiMedia conference in Banff and to explore collaboration links. We're working with John Bell (WorldLinx - used to be called IIS) and the Department of Communications to coordinate this. More details later but please mark your calendars.
4. There will be a UofT Department of Computer Science tea on Thursday, Feb. 18th from 4:00-5:30 pm in Sandford Fleming 2103 which will also serve as a Telepresence Open House for local staff to become familiar with Telepresence activities. Telepresence will do demos during that time.
5. The Specifications Documents redrafts are due by Feb. 15th. Please submit drafts to Ron Riesenbach in Microsoft Word Format using Tom's IIIF server document as the common format.
6. Preparations are underway for the Destiny 2000 exhibit in Ottawa May 3-7. Telepresence will present an exhibit in conjunction with Bell Canada for a crowd of 8,500 Grade 9 high school students throughout the week, to promote careers in science and technology.
7. The Council of the Region of Lombardy, Italy has approved the resolution for its cooperative participation in the International Telepresence Project with attendant financial support. This is very good news indeed as it gives the Ontario project it's second firm partner in Europe.
8. A meeting is scheduled for February 16 and 17 in Stuttgart where the Telepresence International Framework is due to be ratified (finally!). This is the last hurdle in getting our year #2 and #3 funding approved.
9. The Software World Exhibit returns to Toronto May 4-6, accompanied by Client/Server World. A wide ranging program of ten in-depth conferences include Application Developement, Database Technologies, Object-Oriented, Managing the C/S Environment, Developing C/S Applications, Emerging Technologies, Business Re-engineering, Application Software, Networking & Operating Systems, and Open Systems. For more information please call (508) 470-3880, fax (508) 470-0526, or mail DCI, 204 Andover St., Andover, MA 01810.
10. The Ontario Telepresence Project full-colour brochure is now being printed, and copies will be distributed to the Telepresence roster Monday, Feb. 15th.