ENG140Y: Literature for our Time
Instructor: Ann-Barbara Graff
Office: Room 291
Office Hours: MWF 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Class Meeting Times: MWF 1:00 - 2:00 p.m.
First Essay Topics
Choose one topic from the following list:
1. Discuss the role or function of women in Heart of Darkness.
2. Discuss sympathy and judgment as they perton to Marlow's ambivalent attitudes to Kurtz in Heart of Darkness.
3. Discuss the ways in which the two primary plotlines (Septimus Smith's and Mrs. Dalloway's) inform each other in Woolf's novel, Mrs. Dalloway.
4. Discuss the tension between philosophical attitudinizing and its concrete dramatization in Yeats, Woolf or Conrad.
5. Discuss the theme of maturation in Yeats, Conrad, Joyce, or Mansfield,
This assignment is worth 5 % of your total grade. The essay must not be more than 1200 words (5 pages, typed, double-spaced) and should be handed in on or before Monday November 13, 2000.
Penalties for lateness: Extensions should not be asked for and will not be granted EXCEPT in cases of serious emergencies, e.g., medical crisis. Late essay will be penalized 5% per day (including weekends and holidays).
Go Back to Main Page
Posted 11 October 2000